Steinbach, Manitoba

We left Thunder Bay just after 8 am to another sunny day and avoided downtown by taking Hwy 102 around the east side. The road was pretty bumpy but we got through alright. We kept going until a little place called Upsala where we stopped at another Husky for fuel. $0.999/litre so we only put in a $100 worth because we knew we would hit cheaper costs once we got to Kenora. We met 4 people from New Brunswick traveling to Vancouver in an old Citation motorhome. They loved our new home and Chris obliged them with a quick tour while we were stopped for fuel. We continued playing leap frog with this same group for the rest of the day. Chris used to live in Sioux Lookout many years ago, so the area near Dryden was quite familiar to her. We finally saw a moose with camera at the ready. We stopped and parked at the Walmart in Dryden for lunch where it suddenly dawned on me that there was a time change coming to CST from EST. We began thinking of pushing through to Steinbach, Manitoba instead of stopping in Kenora.We wanted to hit another Husky while in Kenora which meant not taking the bypass on Hwy 17a, unfortunately. We wound up in downtown Kenora negotiating several tight turns and even a traffic circle which seemed like odd things to have on a marked truck route, but we managed to come out of it all unscathed and even found our Husky station. We had planned on overnighting in their truck parking lot but it was only 1 pm, so it was on to Steinbach.We hit the Trans Canada Hwy 1 once we crossed into Manitoba and it was 4 lane almost all the way into Steinbach. You can tell from the photo above that road construction ended at the Ontario/Manitoba border. We were on our way into Steinbach on Hwy 12 when our friend, John Ryll, passed us on his way home from working in Winnipeg. We checked into Steinbach Campground for two nights. It is down a gravel road about 1000m or so behind McDonald’s. Rate was $25 per night for a pull thru site with 30 amp service, water, no sewer but there is a dump station available. Chris got to park the motorhome for a second straight day. She’s becoming an old pro at it now. Campground is very quiet with large flat sites.

John met as at the campground and invited us over for supper. We had a great supper and visit and even got to meet their young shelties, Casey and Riley. What a pair those two are! We arrived back late and turned in right away. Even a one hour time change makes a difference.

One Comment

  1. Johnson's bus stops June 17, 2009 at 4:47 am #

    Way too go Chris, maybe you should take over the driving We are in Tok, we took the Top of the World road, wheeew, really rough road. You guys just keep on coming you may catch us yet